BS English (Applied Linguistics) is a four-year degree program that has been designed with a special focus on advancing academic and professional development of students who want to gain knowledge of applied linguistics and apply it to practical problems related to language in use and language teaching.
|keyword||BS English ,BS Physics, BS URdu, BS Chemistry,BS Botany and BS Zoology|
The program aims to:
- Enable students to describe language by using appropriate linguistic concepts and terminology.
- Articulate reflective and critical thinking skills among language learners to comprehend possible links between language pedagogy and policies.
- Develop insights among students about social and psychological principles to understand language acquisition and development.
- Enable the learners comprehend cultural and sociopolitical dimensions of language to improve lifelong learning as well as social and communicative skills.
- Enhance students’ awareness of the latest and effective pedagogical tools to improve their professional career.
- Provide an understanding of a variety of language teaching methods to enable the students to develop and reflect upon their understanding of language learning and teaching by effectively incorporating technological advancements in their class room practices.
- Equip them with a better understanding of the standard procedures of curricula and syllabi design and development.
- Develop essential research and analytical skills in the learners who intend to opt English language teaching as their career.
- Provide in-service and aspiring language teachers an opportunity to develop a theoretical and practical understanding of English Language Teaching in order to explore, understand, and research the problems related to ELT in Pakistan.
Admission Eligibility Criteria
Intermediate or equivalent qualification (12 years of education) with at least 45% marks.
Course(s) exemption is not allowed.
BS English (Applied Linguistics) is a four-year degree program comprising 132 credit hours earned over eight semesters.
Degree Completion Duration
Courses of Study
Click here to View Study Scheme
Assessment of Study Progress
The students’ study progress evaluation mechanism is based on continuous assessment throughout the semester by giving assignments, quizzes, Graded Discussion Board (GDB), mid-term and final-term exams. The mid and final term exams are conducted at VU’s designated exam centers and usually count for 80-85% of the total marks of a course. In the last semester of BS Program, a research project is mandatory to be submitted by the students.
Students are required to complete a Research Project of 3-credit hours in the final semester of BS English (Applied Linguistics). They have to produce a properly supervised, investigated and formatted research project (as per recommendations of HEC with regard to layout, referencing and indexing) on an approved topic. Students have to submit a detailed write-up of the project and may be required to give a presentation.
Award of Degree
To be eligible for the award of degree in BS English (Applied Linguistics), the students are required to qualify the prescribed courses amounting to at least 132 credit hours with a minimum Cumulative Grade Point Average (CGPA) of 2.00 out of 4.00.